The Writing Life: Rituals, Rhythms, & Practices
Registration for The Writing Life is now closed. Please join the mailing list to hear about future sessions.
When you understand your unique creative process, you'll be more relaxed, more prolific, and more consistent in your writing practice.
During this 4-week online course, you will....
- Examine your assumptions about the writing process.
- Dismantle your myths about what "real writers" do and don't do.
- Discover the internal and external cues that enable you to tap into your creativity.
- Develop a creative process that fits you, your writing, and your life.
- Practice showing up for your writing.
- Make sense of your natural creative rhythms and inclinations.
- Gain insight into what inspires you.
- Learn to harness creative enthusiasm.
- Find joy and ease in the creative process.
"This class changed my relationship to my writing in deep fundamental ways. The lessons and ideas explored helped to remove the thick heavy should's of writing that stole the joy of writing from me. Jenna's gentle guidance and clarity gave me permission to seek and settle into what works for me as a writer. This class helped me want to write, not feel like I should write. My expectations of myself have been right-sized, and writing is enjoyable again. I am glad I took the time to explore these issues and find out what works for me." ~Kira Elliott(writer, artist, non-profit community developer)
How You'll Benefit
By taking this class, you'll unravel the misconceptions and myths of what being a "Real Writer" looks like. You'll tap into your creative energy and unleash it in a sustainable way. You'll learn techniques for transforming your perceived weaknesses into the strengths of your writing life. You'll figure out what it will take for you to write more. You'll deepen your writing life. And you'll probably start to have a lot more fun while writing!
>Writing as a Process of Discovery: Cultivating a writer's mindset, clearing the mental clutter, and practicing the practice
>The Inner World of Your Writing Life: Understanding the different phases of your process, knowing how your mind works, and embracing your natural writing "breath"
>The Outer World of Your Writing Life: Understanding how your surroundings impact your work, finding inspiration in tangible objects, creating rituals and routines, and leveraging your natural rhythms and schedules
>Living the Writing Life: Setting writing goals and dreams, discovering what motivates you, and choosing to live the writing life
"This class was the best investment I've made in my writing. It identified so many little things that got me to be consistent, excited, and inspired. Plus, I continue to bounce ideas off of and work with the people I met online to improve my writing habits! Thanks so much, Jenna!" ~John Mann
What You'll Get
There are no live class times for this course, so you can work through the lessons on your own time and at your own pace. All course content will be delivered to you by email. You will also be invited to join a private Facebook group where you can connect with other students and ask questions. (Note: The Facebook group is optional.)
- Content: The content for this course is a mixture of stories & lessons, tips & techniques, exercises & prompts, and resources & inspiration.
- Email: Course content will be delivered on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays during the course. Each email will explores a particular aspect of the writing process.
- Ebook: At the end of the course, you'll receive an ebook (.pdf) of the full course content to keep.
- Community: Join your fellow writers in an optional, private community group on Facebook where you can support each other, ask questions, and swap stories. We'll celebrate the ups (and commiserate about the downs!) of the writing life.
- Support: During our month together, I will be available by email and in the community group to answer your questions about writing and the writing life, to practice alongside you, and to cheer you on!
What You'll Need
- Required: Access to a working email address
- Optional: A Facebook account (to participate in the private community group)
- Desirable: Willingness to experiment with your creative process and a longing to deepen your writing life
Why The Writing Life?
I created this class to help writers explore various aspects of their writing life and to experiment with what works for them. We'll look at factors such as your physical environment, the time of day you write, how you organize your thoughts, and how you approach the blank page. All of these things impact your writing practice, possibly in ways that you're not even aware of.
I used to think I couldn't be a "Real Writer" because my creative process was different than other writers. I'd concocted a myth about what real writers do and don't do. For example, I thought that "Real Writers" wrote every single day, knew the end of the story before they wrote it, and didn't fear the blank page. I, on the other hand, can't write every single day. I almost never know how the story ends until I write it. And I fear the blank page more often than I'd like to admit.
When I finally started to work with my natural inclinations and creative process, instead of against them or in spite of them, I began to build a writing practice that was more sustainable and more enjoyable. The pitfalls and misconceptions of the creative process come up a lot for my students and clients, too, so I know I'm not alone in this struggle.
"Many, many thanks for a very helpful course to which I will return again and again." ~Jennifer Burns Lewis (pastor)
About Your Facilitator
I'm Jenna McGuiggan, the owner of The Word Cellar.
I've worked as a professional freelance writer, editor, and creative coach since 2003. I've been teaching online writing courese since 2010. In that time, I've worked with nearly 400 students, plus dozens of writers in my one-on-one coaching sessions.
I received my MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts, and I hold a BA in English. In addition to teaching online, I have also taught and spoken in-person at the BlogHer Conference, the the Soul Sisters Conference, and the Be Present Retreats. (Learn more about my credentials here.)
My essays and articles have been published in a wide variety of print and online publications. (Learn more about my writing here.)
As a workshop facilitator and instructor, I think of myself less as a teacher and more as a sharer: one who shares. I've learned a lot about writing and living the writing life through my experience and education. I want to share that with you.
I believe in art for art's sake, in the importance of beauty, in the power of words, and in the karma of kindness.
Questions? I'm happy to answer. Please contact me.
"With each lesson of The Writing Life, there was so much beautiful inspiration, practical writing ideas, prompts, stories, motivation and beauty. I was looking for a writing nudge and received so much more in return. My journal was filled from writing exercises and stories. Jenna has the most beautiful way of presenting to others that writing should be a way of life, she gently guides you to what is already inside. Thank you, Jenna, for showing me that writing in my life is truly a life ritual!" ~Donna Wynn (writer, artist, workshop leader)
Are you ready to create a writing life you LOVE?
Spend a month exploring and creating your unique writing practice in a supportive, inspiring environment with other writers.
Registration for the current session of The Writing Life is now closed. Please join the mailing list to hear about future sessions.